Last night I was in a Twitter discussion where SEO issues were discussed, and the issue of social signals came up.
Many SEO PRACTITIONERS will tell you that social signals have no influence on your search engine optimisation strategies in any shape manner or form, and personally I believe they are right. How ever the power of individual tweets is a whole other animal, and some tweets can have a truly astounding impact on your individual online assets in strange and devious ways that at first glance seem unrealistic.
To understand the power of an individual tweet there are many different things that need to be understood, with the two main issues bring
- Duplicate content
- Website architecture
Think subdomain.domain/folder where each tweet is considered as a folder within the subdomain
Think USER.TWITTER.COM/ORIGINAL TWEET/ REPLY
- where in the nested loops the comment resides
- What the semantic context of the tweet consists of
- are there any out bound links to pages that expand the conversation
- What is the site authority and page authority level of any such linked to page
- are there any inbound links to individual comments
- Is this comment stream part of an embedded twitter post
- Who are the folks commenting
- How fresh are the comments
- Are the comments relevant to the conversation
- Should the comment get spam treatment
- What was the purpose and intent of each tweet in the comment stream
Because each comment is seen by the search engine as a stand alone web page, the interlinking between each comment is evaluated, where the level within the site architecture is used as a link referral base and out bound links add tremendous value to the SEO link juice of those tweets which contain them, adding SEO value within the entire conversation chain.
This can thus add true value within the Search engine optimisation flow patterns to all the out bound links, with any out bound links in the original tweet getting the lions share of this link juice. The closer to the top of the conversation an out bound link is found, the more link juice it should carry, but this is not always true, as there are many different factors that influence the flow of link juice from a social media conversation.
It can thus be seen that the SEO value of a Twitter conversation can become a very powerful and much appreciated boost to the individual online assets which may be linked to from within the comment streams of a tweet
By on line assets I mean web pages, blog post, social media profiles or any online content such as images, videos or PDF documents